To celebrate their annual book fair at BookPeople the Girls’ School of Austin had two authors visit their campus this fall. The first presenter, Tillie Walden is a familiar face to GSA. Tillie graduated from the Girls’ School of Austin in 2010. She is now a successful graphic novelist with three books published and another on the way. Tillie returned to GSA at the beginning of the school year to teach an after school comics club to a small group of students. During the book fair she came to speak to the entire campus about her journey as a graphic novelist and her tips for creating comics. GSA was also fortunate to have New York Times best-selling author, Cynthia Leitich Smith visit the school on December 1. Cynthia is the author of several award-winning children and young adult books including the Feral and Tantalize series, Jingle Dancer, Rain Is Not My Indian Name; and Indian Shoes. A final highlight of the book fair was Family Night at BookPeople; students and their families came out to hear readings from GSA teachers and BookPeople staff, and get some holiday shopping done.
- Facing the Music: Shiloh and Imogen Hendrickse on Pierre Henri Xuereb and their scholarship trip to France
- Differences are Superpowers: The Girls’ School of Austin + Safe in Austin and healing through animals
- Portrait of a GSA Graduate
- Charting Our Future: GSA’s Year of Strategic Planning
- Teaching Students to Navigate Our Social World